The Central Sector Self Employment Scheme for Rehabilitation of Manual Scavengers was revised in November, 2013 in consonance with the provision of the “Prohibition of Employment as Manual Scavengers and their Rehabilitation Act, 2013 (MS Act, 2013). The objective of SRMS is to provide assistance to the identified manual scavengers and their dependants for their rehabilitation in alternative occupations.
The following are the main components of SRMS as revised upto 2020-21:-
- Onetime cash assistance of Rs.40000/- to identified manual scavenger.
- Credit linked back-end capital subsidy upto Rs. 3.25 lakh with provision of concessional Loans for project cost upto Rs. 15.00 lacs.
- Skill Development Training upto two years with stipend of Rs.3000/- per month to the manual scavenger/dependent who opts for such training.
- Subsidy on Loans to manual scavengers/ sanitation workers and their dependents for sanitation related projects (for projects upto Rs. 15 lakh)
- Coverage of Manual Scavengers for Health Insurance under Ayushman Bharat (PM-JAY) Yojana
- Behavioral Skill Development Training (RPL).
- Health Camps.
- Workshops on Hazardous Cleaning of Sewers and Septic Tanks.
The scheme is being implemented at the national level through the NSKFDC.
Identification of manual scavengers is done by the concerned State Governments through survey by the Urban Local Bodies/Gram Panchyats. A survey of Manual Scavengers was started in 2013 under the provisions of the MS Act, 2013. In 2018, fresh survey of manual scavengers was started in 194 districts of the country. During these two surveys the identified till Feb. 2021, 58,098 eligible manual scavengers have been identified and they have been paid the One Time Cash Assistance.
|2. REVISIED GUIDELINES OF THE SCHEME
The Scheme has been revised w.e.f. 1.4.2021. Main features of revised Scheme are:-
- Revision in the rates of capital subsidy and its enhancement to maximum of Rs. 5.00 lakh as against Rs. 3.25 lakh at present.
- Making uniform rates of capital subsidy for general projects and sanitation related projects.
- Capital subsidy to be paid upfront in place of back-ended capital subsidy earlier.
- Capital subsidy to also be admissible for projects to be started by group of the target group.
- Changes/departure from earlier scheme are as under:-
|Components of the Loan
|Project cost limit for individual
|Assistance for projects costing upto Rs. 10 lakh for general projects and upto Rs. 15 lakh for sanitation related projects
|Assistance for projects costing upto Rs. 15 lakh for general as well as sanitation related projects
Project cost limit for Group Projects
|No specified norms for size of the group projects.
|Projects upto Rs. 50 lakh by group of maximum 5 beneficiaries. Maximum projects cost limit per beneficiary Rs. 10.00 lakh
|Upfront capital subsidy
|Back-end capital subsidy
|Upfront capital subsidy
Back-end capital subsidy upto Rs. 3.25 lakh as follows:-
Sanitation related projects
General Projects as well as Group Projects
Up-front capital subsidy upto Rs. 5.00 lakh for general projects as well as sanitation related projects, as follows:-
Rate of Interest
- The Prohibition of Employment as Manual Scavengers and their Rehabilitation Act, 2013.
- The Prohibition of Employment as Manual Scavengers and their Rehabilitation Rules, 2013.
- SELF EMPLOYMENT SCHEME FOR REHABILITATION OF MANUAL SCAVENGERS (Revised) –APPLICABLE FROM THE YEAR 2021-220 bytes
- Website for Manual Scavenger in Statutory Towns
- Circular to SCA1.5 MB
- Circular to Bank1.14 MB